Wednesday, November 16, 2005

New Blog!!!

After some soul searching and discussion among friends and family, I've decided to resurrect my Blog and try to be more faithful at making contributions. I've taken my old Blog and put it in as my first entry. Now I need to start adding to it.

A concern I have is that I really live two different lives - my Christian worship and music life, and my professional technical x-ray life. How do I distinguish between these two lives in my Blog? What really pushed me over the edge was a comment made to me last Saturday night at a show I was playing at Concordia University in Irvine, CA. I made an observation to one of the cast members that I felt the director didn't give much critical feedback to the band - good or bad. Her comment was that he didn't need to give the band feedback, because "we were professionals", unlike them, who are students. I was touched that she thought of me as a professional, yet I knew in my heart that I was still a student. Then last night as I was chatting with a fellow musician at Saddleback, I asked him what he did for his "day gig". After his response he returned the question with an observation "so you play music for a living?". Again I was taken back that someone would think of me as a "professional" musician. My world has changed a lot over the years and I expect it will continue to change...at least I hope so! In any case, my goal is to make regular contributions to this Blog as a way of documenting the inevitable changes that come with a life lived as a musician AND a technician.