Monday, November 21, 2005

A footnote at the bottom of each other's stories...

As Woody the French Horn player shared his story of how after 30 years of not playing, he picked up his horn, re-learned how to play, and after a few months was told that he was "ready" by Bob the director, I remembered a similar story of mine from some years ago. I had been playing bass maybe a year or two and only in our church worship band. Dick Cooper, our church custodian, had a little jazz combo that was going to do a few numbers in a concert at the church. They needed someone to play bass and asked me to do it. It was quite a thrill for me to be considered and I diligently studied my parts so that I would not embarrass myself or Dick. While I have always enjoyed jazz, I had never played jazz bass and was certain that this concert would not qualify me as a jazz bassist, but it would be a fun experience. The concert went well and I felt good about it. Some weeks after the concert Dick called me again. This time it was for a wedding reception... a paying gig! What?! He sent me some jazz music education materials to study, I prepared myself as best as possible and fearfully showed up for the gig. I played timidly trying to stay out of trouble. Several songs into the set Dick came over and said, "You're doing fine. Turn up!" That was the day I became a bass player!

For me, Dick Cooper is the footnote at the bottom of that page of my life story. He validated me as a "young" musician (even though I was a middle age man) and gave me permission to proceed, expand, grow, and pursue my dream. There are others who have done similar things for me, but until yesterday, I had completely forgotten about Dick and the important part he played.

Now, a decade or so later, Dick's band leader duties have been passed down to his son Barry who still calls me to play jazz occasionally and I love doing it. I am not so much a musician as technician...not so much an artist as a hobbiest. But there is a very real possibility I'd be none of these things if it had not been for Dick opening the door for me.

I wonder...will I ever be a footnote at the bottom of someone's story?

Footnote - "A footnote at the bottom of each other's stories" comes from the November 21 reading in Listening to Your Life by Frederick Buechner.