Monday, September 08, 2008

The "Desire of my heart"?

Yesterday was a great day at our church. We started a new "band-led" contemporary worship service, and I am in the band. The worship elder came up to me before the service and commented that we have waited 7 1/2 years for this. I thought to myself, "I have been waiting a lot longer than that." Doing the math, I determined that I started playing Saturday nights at Irvine Presbyterian Church about 15 years ago, because there was no contemporary worship at Trinity. In the years since then, I have played at many MANY churches, looking for a place where Martha & I could worship and minister in the unique ways that God has gifted us. I have spent many MANY quiet times questioning God on how he puts the desire and passion in our hearts in the first place, then he promises to give us the "desire of our heart", then he delays so long in actually giving us that desire. The "desire of my heart" that I've articulated many times is to be in an "effective and meaningful worship ministry in my home church". It seems I may finally be on the brink of experiencing the fulfillment of that desire after over 15 years. I don't want to get too excited but I have to admit that yesterday was an exciting day for me. I am very hopeful.

Now, the real question is, do I really know my heart and what it desires? I've heard it said many times, "Be careful what you ask for because you might just get it." Lord have mercy!